- First of all, get rid of older LibreOffice which you might have installed before or has been there as default (in Ubuntu Linux). Open Terminal:
- sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
- Download LibreOffice 5.3 (beta). Default tar.gz has all the deb-packages needed for an English/US install. No need to install localization packages:
- Extract debs where you like. This can be done by double clicking tar.gz -package, then dragging and dropping debs in a folder.
- In Terminal:
- cd /path/to_folder/where/debs/are
- sudo dpkg -i *.deb
- Now LibreOffice 5.3 (beta) is installed
- Open LibreOffice Writer
- Click Ubuntu-button in upper left corner and type-in libre
Once LibreOffice Writer 5.3 (beta) is up and running:
- Click Tools, Options, LibreOffice Dev, Advanced and check Enable experimental features (may be unstable)
- Next, click View in upper left corner, Toolbar layout, Notebookbar
There you have it!
LibreOffice 5.3 (beta) is available for Windows and macOS as well!
Be sure to check Enable experimental features
You can always go back if ribbon is "not your cup of tea",
the default UI is still there as well