Day three: How to boot Beaglebone Black from SD card
Flashing eMMC memory:
My Beaglebone Black finally got a new operating system inside (2 GB eMMC memory). Follow these steps:
- Point your web browser over here: http://beagleboard.org/latest-images
- Choose Debian (BeagleBone Black - 2GB eMMC) 2014-05-14
- Download the one which is eMMC only!
- There is also torrent file available - much quicker than direct download
- Use 7-zip (in Windows) or similar to extract the image
- Burn the image using Win32DiskImager (in Windows) on an microSD card (mine is 4 GB)
- Hold down user/boot button and power up your Beaglebone Black
- Release user/boot button when all four blue LEDs side by side are on
- Wait and pray
- When Beaglebone Black shuts down release microSD card and boot your Beaglebone Black
- Flashing might not succeed every time!
- If that happens start again (you don't need to write the image on SD again)
- Ssh your Debian
- Try to find the IP address of your Beaglebone Black by looking at your wifi/lan router dhcp log
- Type the following command: ssh -l root your-bbb-ip-here
- Root password might have been left blank
Beaglebone Black has a bootloader called u-boot. Next I need to understand how u-boot works. It's Wednesday now. I purchased my Beaglebone Black last Friday, only 5 days ago.
Running an X-app called Hardinfo
over SSH on OS X